Audience Centered Communication
NCLR’s Yearly Major Giving Campaign
The National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) is a national legal organization committed to advancing the civil and human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people and their families through litigation, public policy advocacy and public education.
Founded in 1977, NCLR has a long history of protecting and supporting lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender rights. As an organization dependent upon donations, NCLR needed to continue to engage donors in the important work they do. NCLR also had two additional goals for this project:
- Convert individual donors into Major Donors (who give $1,500 or more to NCLR annually)
- Increase the amount that existing Major Donors were willing to donate
- Identify a compelling piece of NCLR’s work that conveys the significance and complexity of the major issues they address:
- 2004 lawsuit against the Christian Legal Society for excluding non-Christians and LGBT students in their college student group chapters, which was won in 2010 after a Supreme Court ruling
- Use that example to create “Anatomy of a Court Case,” a compelling story that:
- engages donors
- reinforces and expands donors’ commitment to NCLR’s mission
- deepens knowledge and connects with donor values.
How NCLR protects LGBT rights
The Major Giving Campaign solicitation, sent yearly to major donors, had yet to tell NCLR’s story through the details and complexity of just one of the LGBT issues they address. Every year they are challenged to connect with donors and impel them to give. We address this challenge by highlighting one aspect of their work. In 2010, NCLR won a case they fought against Christian Legal Society; this victory was an opportunity to explain to donors the inner workings of acheiving such a ground-breaking efforts and positive outcome for the LGBT community. “Protecting (Y)our Rights: Anatomy of a Court Case” details this case and explains its impact and influence on other LGBT Issues.
Anatomy of a court case
The interior of the solicitation is divided into two sections. The top half contains a timeline of NCLR’s court case against Christian Legal Society and illustrates the significant events that took place over the course of six years. Color-coded icons convey at a high level to the viewer judgments, appeals, and case reviews, while captions beneath each provide details. This timeline revealed the complexity and numerous stages involved in achieving a final victory.
Victory v. defeat
The bottom half of the interior focuses on the decisive differences between NCLR winning this case and what it would have meant for the LGBT community had NCLR lost. The picture of the timeline and “ripple effects” was meant to suggest just how vital NCLR’s role is in protecting LGBT rights.
NCLR raised 103% of its nearly $2,000,000 goal and engaged more donors than ever before during this campaign.